Finally, I went home...
Where is home? ...In some way it is an internal place, a place somewhere in time rather than space, where a woman feels of one piece.
-Clarissa Pinkola Estes, PhD
I read an extremely interesting book during my time spent here in Kenya, which I borrowed from a friend before I left. It's called "Women Who Run With the Wolves", for any of you who may be interested in picking it up sometime. It was the perfect accompaniment for me on this trip, as it dealt with issues concerning the "wild woman" in each of us, and how we need to cater to that no matter what happens in our lives. It's how we see ourselves through. Anyway before I end up giving a synopsis of the book, let me just say that one of the things I took to heart was the idea of "home". It is not so much a physical place, as it is a mental or emotional place where we are able to feel that everything is right with the world inside ourselves. The physical place we go is just a means by which we can achieve that place within, and it's different for each of us. This trip has allowed me to take time off of worrying about myself and my own problems. In focusing on others, I have been able to learn quite a bit about myself, I have been inspired, and I am hopeful...not that there wasn't hope before, but it's rather renewed now, and different. I have managed to find "home" within, be peaceful, comfortable, and proud.
So I have learned, among other things, that I can eat dirt and be fine, that I can go days without a shower (maybe longer, but I really didn't want to offend too many people!) and a month without a hairbrush, that I can live with very little and be content. I have learned from the orphans who speak no English that a smile and a touch are all you need to communicate love and have someone accept it, that our personal differences are what make us all beautiful together and to each other, that it doesn't matter where in the world you are... if you do have that love then you're where you're supposed to be, that focusing on someone else makes you realize how green the grass already is on your own side of the fence. I also know that escaping reality, so to speak, only lasts for a little while. Going back is so imminent now and it is extremely weird to me. It feels like I've been here forever at this point. I've met so many people, and had so many good times. January feels like ages ago...and yet it all went by so fast! What happened?
Anyway, I finally got to meet Daniel - the founder of the program through which I'm volunteering. He's from New Zealand. We had a huge barbecue Sunday night with all our in-country coordinators and the host family. I feel like I've become a part of the whole family here...they're all so wonderful! It was great to come together with everyone as a last hoorah before I head out tomorrow night...actually the BBQ was for Daniel's coming to Kenya, but I enjoyed it as a time to have everyone together one last time :-) I know that I'll have an extremely difficult time saying goodbye to everyone at the orphanage tomorrow...wish me luck on that one!
So this will probably be my last post before I head back to the motherland. If you are still with me, I hope you enjoyed the journey with me through Kenya. And I will look forward to seeing you back in the US...well most of you anyway!
Cheers!
-Clarissa Pinkola Estes, PhD
I read an extremely interesting book during my time spent here in Kenya, which I borrowed from a friend before I left. It's called "Women Who Run With the Wolves", for any of you who may be interested in picking it up sometime. It was the perfect accompaniment for me on this trip, as it dealt with issues concerning the "wild woman" in each of us, and how we need to cater to that no matter what happens in our lives. It's how we see ourselves through. Anyway before I end up giving a synopsis of the book, let me just say that one of the things I took to heart was the idea of "home". It is not so much a physical place, as it is a mental or emotional place where we are able to feel that everything is right with the world inside ourselves. The physical place we go is just a means by which we can achieve that place within, and it's different for each of us. This trip has allowed me to take time off of worrying about myself and my own problems. In focusing on others, I have been able to learn quite a bit about myself, I have been inspired, and I am hopeful...not that there wasn't hope before, but it's rather renewed now, and different. I have managed to find "home" within, be peaceful, comfortable, and proud.
So I have learned, among other things, that I can eat dirt and be fine, that I can go days without a shower (maybe longer, but I really didn't want to offend too many people!) and a month without a hairbrush, that I can live with very little and be content. I have learned from the orphans who speak no English that a smile and a touch are all you need to communicate love and have someone accept it, that our personal differences are what make us all beautiful together and to each other, that it doesn't matter where in the world you are... if you do have that love then you're where you're supposed to be, that focusing on someone else makes you realize how green the grass already is on your own side of the fence. I also know that escaping reality, so to speak, only lasts for a little while. Going back is so imminent now and it is extremely weird to me. It feels like I've been here forever at this point. I've met so many people, and had so many good times. January feels like ages ago...and yet it all went by so fast! What happened?
Anyway, I finally got to meet Daniel - the founder of the program through which I'm volunteering. He's from New Zealand. We had a huge barbecue Sunday night with all our in-country coordinators and the host family. I feel like I've become a part of the whole family here...they're all so wonderful! It was great to come together with everyone as a last hoorah before I head out tomorrow night...actually the BBQ was for Daniel's coming to Kenya, but I enjoyed it as a time to have everyone together one last time :-) I know that I'll have an extremely difficult time saying goodbye to everyone at the orphanage tomorrow...wish me luck on that one!
So this will probably be my last post before I head back to the motherland. If you are still with me, I hope you enjoyed the journey with me through Kenya. And I will look forward to seeing you back in the US...well most of you anyway!
Cheers!
1 Comments:
Well, let me be among the first to welcome you home! (To your physical, brick & mortar home, that is!) I'm wondering if you will run to the internet to check all your emails and comments before you do your daughterly duty and actually CALL me to let me know you've arrived safely! (OK, just call as soon as you get around to it!)
Anyway, I know many people are looking forward to more of your enlightening blog updates after you've had some time to gather more of your thoughts about the whole experience. And I, in particular, am looking forward to simply hearing your voice!
Love always, Mom
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home