A gruesome encounter with reality
You see Jen, if people can interrupt PRAYER to do things like this, HOW can we be helped?!
-Peris stated firmly as she got up and stormed into the other room to assist with the patient...
A guy, about my own age, came into the hospital yesterday with a knife wound to the chin. Not a slice, a deep stab upwards into the jaw. There was a prayer session held yesterday to honor those who had died in the violence that has gone on in Kenya since the alleged rigged Presidential election on Dec 27, 2007. This was sanctioned by the police, yet they somehow felt compelled to disrupt it with tear gas, causing everyone to get rowdy all over again. So this young man fell victim to yet another tribal struggle. When he came in, he lifted up his chin to show us all. This was one of the grossest things I have ever seen in person. And at the same time, my heart ached more than it has since I have been here. What Peris said seemed so true to me...if they can't even PRAY without fighting, how much peace can they hope for? If prayer separates them, what can possibly bring them together? This was clearly an abrupt encounter with the horrible reality that has been going on here for the past month. Up until now, I have just seen things on the news and hoped for the best as I go about my daily routine. It was quite disturbing, and very much heartbreaking. My heart actually hurt. To see what people are doing to each other in the name of power (and I haven't even seen much honestly), really just boggles my mind, makes me angry and makes me want to throw up and cry. How is one human being able to physically do this to another so viciously without thinking twice, without regret? How can there be that much hatred inside of someone? I will continue to ask for prayers for the entire situation. Kofi Annan is in town trying to mediate, but he's only one man, and therefore can only do so much. But one thing is for certain...another five days, and demonstrations/rallies will be illegal because it will be past the 30-day mark since the elections. Let's hope that calms things down a bit. And I continue to be safe.
-Peris stated firmly as she got up and stormed into the other room to assist with the patient...
A guy, about my own age, came into the hospital yesterday with a knife wound to the chin. Not a slice, a deep stab upwards into the jaw. There was a prayer session held yesterday to honor those who had died in the violence that has gone on in Kenya since the alleged rigged Presidential election on Dec 27, 2007. This was sanctioned by the police, yet they somehow felt compelled to disrupt it with tear gas, causing everyone to get rowdy all over again. So this young man fell victim to yet another tribal struggle. When he came in, he lifted up his chin to show us all. This was one of the grossest things I have ever seen in person. And at the same time, my heart ached more than it has since I have been here. What Peris said seemed so true to me...if they can't even PRAY without fighting, how much peace can they hope for? If prayer separates them, what can possibly bring them together? This was clearly an abrupt encounter with the horrible reality that has been going on here for the past month. Up until now, I have just seen things on the news and hoped for the best as I go about my daily routine. It was quite disturbing, and very much heartbreaking. My heart actually hurt. To see what people are doing to each other in the name of power (and I haven't even seen much honestly), really just boggles my mind, makes me angry and makes me want to throw up and cry. How is one human being able to physically do this to another so viciously without thinking twice, without regret? How can there be that much hatred inside of someone? I will continue to ask for prayers for the entire situation. Kofi Annan is in town trying to mediate, but he's only one man, and therefore can only do so much. But one thing is for certain...another five days, and demonstrations/rallies will be illegal because it will be past the 30-day mark since the elections. Let's hope that calms things down a bit. And I continue to be safe.
2 Comments:
Hi Jen,
I am sorry that the comments I made last week did not go into your blog. I just want to assure you that you are in our thoughts and prayers. I strongly believe that God who sent you to serve the Kenyans will protect and help you to fulfil his commission. Just your presence there means alot to those needy brothers and sisters.God will on that glorious day reward you for those souls that you have touched in one way or the other.Blessings!
Angelista
Jen,
The inhumanity that can and is being inflicted on each other in Kenya is as old ad Cain and Abel. Jealously, greed, accumulation for worldly power manifests themselves in many forms. Physical violence, intimidation, character assignation, psychological degradation, are all used as weapons by people who hunger for power and control over others. This is not limited to third world nations. Individuals in one on one relationships, leaders, supervisors, politicians, leaders of nations (not limited to the heads of state), businesses, friends, coworkers and many more can succumb to that which is not of goodness, truth, and uplifting of the human condition. It is part of the dark side of human nature that continues to need the light of Jesus to penetrate the stone cold blackness deep within.
You, by your very presence, by being a friend, by being helping hands, by being a shoulder to cry upon, by being a prayer warrior, by being a person of faith in action; are advancing the cause of goodness and mercy for the sake of Jesus.
May God continue to lead, guide, and protect you both now and in all the days to come.
Blessings
Chuck
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home